Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Flying the sugar free coop

Tomorrow, I'm lucky enough to be heading away, child-free, for a few days to visit a friend interstate. 

Of course, I'm looking forward to it.

But I'm also a wee bit terrified

I'll be flying the coop of my sugar free safety net.

For the last 7 weeks I've been able to keep on the straight and narrow by surrounding myself with foods that I "can" eat. I've been able to whip to the health food store or the supermarket when I feel like experimenting with something new. I've had all my "craving busters" right within reach.

Image courtesy of KM&G-Morris
Attribution-Non Commercial-NoDerivs 2.0 Generic (CC BY-NC-ND 2.0)
 
 


For the next 4 days, my pantry,  my shops, my teapot (!!!) and my sugar free comfort zone will all be out of my reach. And the challenges will be aplenty.  Think shopping, road trips, markets and trendy sidewalk cafes. You can almost smell the culinary delights right? (Or I am just in holiday mode?) I'll have to survive this sugarfree journey with much wider, more pliable boundaries.

When holidaying, "grab-and-gobble" foods are rife. Normally on my little getaways (yes, I have a loving husband who affords me these little trips fairly regularly) I start with a chai latte or a hot chocolate at the airport, I'll have a bag of lollies in my handbag to keep me company,  I'll browse and more than likely choose a bar or something from the in-flight menu and I'll arrive with an air of enthusiasm for a cafe lunch and a side of soft drink. I'll always encourage some evening chocolate fix and I'll welcome a bowl of muesli, fresh fruit and yoghurt the following morning.

Somehow I have to manage the next four days (11 meals + various snacks) on as little sugar as possible. Without seeming rude, difficult or unsocial.  

I don't quite have a plan, except the possibility of stocking my only bag with coconut oil, rice cakes, almond spread, oats, cocao nibs and a variety of herbal teas. I guess I can only do my best - seek out sugar free options wherever possible and forgive myself if there's moments when I have to lapse purely due to circumstances.

Hopefully, when I return I'll have a bucket load of tips on how to enjoy sweet travel sugar free.


Bon voyage!

1 comment:

  1. Just in time! I am traveling next weekend :-) Although I am going to a friend's wedding and I have already told myself I will let myself have cake- not sure it will taste as good as it used to, but I have the confidence that I will be able to stop at one piece, instead of testing every single flavor!

    ReplyDelete