Thursday, February 2, 2012

Suddenly Solo and Sugarfree

My husband has just left the country for 2 and a bit weeks. This is not particularly uncommon. What is uncommon is that this time, I'm sugarfree. 

Usually, when DH goes overseas (or indeed just goes interstate for a couple of nights) I feel it is completely justified to fill the void with food. Sweet food. 

It's emotional eating at it's very best. 

After 12 hours or more with my two pre-school aged children and minimal adult interaction, I feel like it's my right. I deserve it! Or I might feel angry that I'm here and DH is somewhere fabulous (that "somewhere fabulous" is, in reality a pokey motel room and a laptop that nags him to keep working into the wee hours of the night.) Or I just feel downright tired. Or I'm so grateful for the silence at the end of the night that I just want to hear the sound of my jaw chomping on something delicious.

Emotional Eating is defined as the practice of consuming large quantities of food -- usually "comfort" or junk foods - in response to feelings instead of hunger. Experts estimate that 75% of overeating is caused by emotions.

Shanghai Cowgirl
Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.0 Generic (CC BY-NC-ND 2.0)
 
Emotional eating can be brought on by depression, boredom, loneliness, anger, fatigue, anxiety, frustration and stress. All common buddies of mine when my husband is MIA (In fact, as I'm sure most mums can attest to, they come to visit most days, but at least when DH is around he's home before the shizniz really hits the fan).

There's the usual advice for overcoming emotional eating: have a warm bath, go for a walk, meditate, do some breathing exercises. Blah blah blah. 

I'm probably just going to tweet, facebook, blog (you may see a slight increase in my blog presence over the next fortnight) and do loads of online shopping!

And maybe a few indulgences of the beauty variety, like a dessert essence facial scrub from Lee at Supercharged Foods and a do-at-home pedi. Might be time to get my girly on!

No comments:

Post a Comment